The Circle, by Dave Eggers

Oh, the irony of reviewing this book in particular on social media/the Internet. This is a cautionary tale of the growing power, violating intrusion, and unnerving omniscience ... of the Internet. When Mae Holland is hired to work in customer service at The Circle, the company culture seems like a hilarious satire à la Silicon Valley (the show). The shiny campus, the developer-specific lingo and protocol, quirks of genius, and the ostentation of new innovation and technology all throw tiny, teasing jabs at Facebook.

However, the tone of the story shifts to a sinister one as The Circles' user base and influence grows. Mae becomes increasingly neurotic over purpose and validation, deriving her value and emotional stability from comments, "smiles", and "zings". Driven by her "PartiRank" standing, she ends up wearing a videocamera at all times and exploiting her own family and friendships to create content in order to entice her viewers. Meanwhile, The Circle rolls out other intrusive technology such as their SeeChange cameras, surveillance software, and a slew of other products under the guise of creating "pure transparency" in the universe, with thousands upon thousands of consumers buying into the philosophy each second. What starts off as a satire ends as a horror story about the perils of knowing too much at the cost of one's humanity.

5/5 stars - I know there's a movie out there but now I'm too scared to watch it because it'll bring the horrors of Facebook and Google a bit too close to home!

Comments

  1. I put off reading this book not because I’m meh about Dave Eggers (which I am), but because it seems so horrifying. I know it’s a total head-in-the-sand approach, but I mostly don’t want to think about all of the information gathered about me every time I dip a toe into the inter webs and how that information can be put to use against any private citizen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was horrifying to read because there were so many parallels to how google and facebook rolls out technology to make our lives "more convenient", but at the cost of our privacy. *shudder*

      Delete
  2. OH MAN, this sounds scary and entertaining and possibly going to be very skeptical of the internet (while I look up online exactly why I should be so worried).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an exaggerated fiction of how technology could evolve, but a lot of similarities between google/facebook and The Circle hit uncomfortably close to home! There's a movie adaptation but it's apparently a laughable 16% on Rotten Tomatoes. I know that books are better than the movie almost ALWAYS, but I haven't heard of the movie version tanking so hard!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts