Eligible, by Curtis Sittenfeld

25852870My first book of the year is a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice:

Liz is a magazine writer in New York who wants to be taken seriously as a journalist and is the responsible, practical daughter. She's in her late 30s and is sort of seeing her on-again-off-again boyfriend Jasper, who is married with a kid, by the way.

Jane is a yoga-instructor who wants a baby asap.

Mary is a shut-in and oddly isn't in the picture much.

Kitty and Lydia are gorgeous and young and fit (specifically CrossFit), but also hot messes with no life skills.

Mrs. Bennet is incredibly desperate to marry her children off (so nothing has really changed here).

There's also a "Bachelor" knock-off show called "Eligible", whose recent contestant is the handsome Chip Bingley. Chip and his less charming neurosurgeon friend Fitzwilliam Darcy drop into Cincinnati life after Chip's show wraps up.

Meanwhile, Liz comes back to Cincinnati to take care of her ailing father and their estate (called "The Tudor")... so if you've read Pride and Prejudice, you know how the rest sort of goes.

Despite the modern-day setting, Mrs. Bennet is still back in the 19th century with her bigotry/ignorance about black and trans people, which makes for some cringeworthy moments of prejudice. Darcy is perfect with his dry, deadpan persona and Liz is just as feisty and charming... but she was overly ditzy, which I couldn't stand. It's a fairly quick read and borderline trashy (somehow in a good way??) but it doesn't do Pride and Prejudice justice.

3 out of 5 stars

Comments

  1. I’ve been on the fence so long about starting this book. I got a galley from the publisher quite some time ago, but then reviewers I trusted either loved it or were quite meh about it. I don’t mind modern re-works of beloved classics, I really don’t. But when they happen I’d like for them to tread a little new ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love retellings too - that's what made this one so disappointing :(

      Delete
  2. Oh is THAT what this is about? Huh. I've seen it around and I dunno what I thought it was about but not that. (I guess I could have read a summary at any point but yeah...)

    That's too bad that this didn't work. I like the idea of retellings and sometimes they're great. Bummer this time not so much.

    Also, you sort of lost me with "Liz is a magazine writer in New York who wants to be taken seriously as a journalist" because OMG who isn't in these books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I know! It's a very tired cliché. And get this, the magazine she writes for is called "Mascara", so no, I'm not going to take you seriously. When people call her out on it throughout the book, she pipes up with "but I've been to the middle east!"
      In my opinion that the best Austen retelling is "Clueless" :)

      Delete
    2. 200% agree with you. Clueless is amazing. I don't even need others to reach that level of retelling but look, someone proved it can be done well so no excuses

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts