2018 January Reading Summary
2018's been a pretty good year for reading so far! I did my very first 24in48 readathon. I read 8 books and 6 of the authors were females (awww yiss). I flipped 3098 pages and did not get a paper-cut. I did full-length reviews for some of the books (Eligible, A Little Life, Truly Madly Guilty, and The Circle), so here are mini-reviews for the rest:
Well, that's it for January! Going to Feb by reading more female authors in honor of Femmuary. How was your reading progress? What are you looking forward to reading this month?
Saga Volume 8 - heartbreaking plot twists but ends on a hopeful note. I recommend going back and brushing up on the other 7 because the pacing seemed off in this volume. Not sure where everyone was and at what point in time some storylines resumed. 4/5 stars.
A quick read - more of a coffee table/joke book. This wasn't as funny as his other book, and 90% of the material was outsourced from his fans on twitter. 2/5 stars.
Barbara Kingsolver is a wonderful writer and this collection of essays are bite-sized morsels of wisdom ranging from transcendentalism to human rights. Many of these essays serve to re-calibrate the reader's perspective on human nature. The breadth of her knowledge is astounding: there are treatises on the political aspect of art, censorship vs. freedom of speech, the growing pains of motherhood, the creation of a sustainable ecosystem, the eye-opening experiences of travel, and the importance of biodiversity. Very insightful and an enjoyable read! 5/5 stars.
A fantastic debut by Rena Olsen! A psychological thriller that starts with an action-packed opening and delves into Clara's life. Clara is arrested and separated from her husband for reasons she can't quite understand. Also, her files state that her name is actually Diana... the plot thickens as she spends time in her cell and starts recalling a life prior to the one she thought she'd always known. 4/5 stars.
This was FANTASTIC. Many of us grew up reading the Iliad or the Odyssey, praising Achilles for his bravery and skill in the battlefield. However, what of slain Patroclus, whose death incited Achilles' wrath and passion for vengeance in the first place? Madeline Miller breathes new life into the old Greek mythology genre with her beautiful prose and almost lyrical descriptions of life in the court of King Peleus. Patroclus and Achilles' love is Epic (pun intended). 5/5 stars.
What happens to Galatea after Pygmalion crafts her from ivory? This is a short story from Galatea's perspective. The ending was haunting and I wanted more... Madeline Miller has got me back into Greek Mythology with her wonderful writing! This wasn't as good as The Song of Achilles, but it's a solid 3/5 stars.
Well, that's it for January! Going to Feb by reading more female authors in honor of Femmuary. How was your reading progress? What are you looking forward to reading this month?






Ooooh, nice reading this month! Like you, I absolutely loved Song of Achilles, and now I'm excited to see that she has a short story about Galatea. I had no idea! And be on the lookout for Circe, which comes out in April. I thought it had a slower burn than Achilles, but in the end, I think I loved it even more.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I can't wait for Circe to come out. Miller has me back on the greek mythology track. If you know of any other good greek myth reads, let me know!
DeleteI have The Song of Achilles out from the library and I am so excited to read it! Everyone who I've talked to about it agrees that it's amazing.
ReplyDeleteYesssss! Read it asap - I loved it so much. And then we have to chase down Circe when that comes out <3
DeleteHigh Tide, I am interested. Espec cos I haven't read any Kingsolver yet but this seems like a good way in.
ReplyDeleteIt's a pretty good book to pick up and put down as needed because they're all short but rich pieces. It's a grab-bag of subjects, like wandering from topic to topic with a great conversationalist. I highly recommend it as a Kingsolver starter pack, haha
Delete