People see what they wish to see. And in most cases, what they are told that they see.

I started reading The Night Circus last week, and though I have had limited time to read during the past week, I am savoring every moment.  I haven't read a good book about magic in a while, and Erin Morgenstern has done an excellent job setting the stage with the Gentleman's Wager.  She is so descriptive of the Victorian setting and I love that she chooses to focus on fashion and fine dining.  Right up my alley, this one.  My mouth watered at the scrumptious cuisines at la maison Lefèvre, my eyes glazed over at the thought of Mme. Ana Padva's exquisite clothing, and I shivered when I thought of how cold and beautiful the frosted peonies of the Ice Garden tent must feel.

I'm only halfway through the book where Celia and Marco are pitted against each other (NOT a spoiler, the Gentleman's Wager takes place at the very beginning of the book), but I am already so taken by the imagery that I thought to draw from my own imagination.  I feel like this would be a good book to come back to if I was ever in an art block, just because Erin Morgenstern's descriptions are so vivid and theatrical!

Celia Bowen, from The Night Circus

Comments

  1. That's a gorgeous image -- well done! What Erin Morgenstern lacks in literary chops, she makes up for visually, in spades. I was thoroughly charmed by this book and I'm glad you're enjoying it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night Circus was such a pretty good and as you've shown above, a good source for inspiration. I especially love the bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Alley! Everything is so sparkly and pretty in the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did notice that - I was getting frustrated how slow this "fierce competition" was moving along, and how there was a lack of "fierce" and more vagueness on "competition". But it's a good book to get lost in :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts