Wednesday Wanderings: The Kapellbrücke

Once I got off the bus on the outskirts of Lucerne, I followed the signs for the Kapellbrücke.  The Kapellbrücke, or "Chapel Bridge" is a wooden pedestrian bridge that spans the beautifully emerald Reuss River in Lucerne, Switzerland.  Swans darted around the bridge supports as leisurely as they pleased, dining on the pieces of bread tossed from over the ledge and ducking underneath the beams for shade.  Must be a nice life...


The Kapellbrücke is Europe's oldest wooden-covered bridge.


In fact, it's actually the oldest truss bridge in the world.  What makes it a truss bridge is the recurring triangular pattern, which subdivides into smaller triangles. How many triangles can you count in my photo below?  Many of the triangular paintings are dated back to the 17th Century!


Walking across the Reuss River on The Kapellbrücke was a sight to behold - I was able to get take some great photos of the colorful architecture and capture the bold green color of the river.  


The roar of the river was quieted by the needle dams set up to regulate the water level.


It was a great day for photography - I felt like I was walking right into a fairytale scene or a painting!



Check out my other travel posts by clicking the Travel link on the bar at the top of my blog.

Pssst... the one that looks like this!

Thanks for stopping by, and Bon Voyage!  

Comments

  1. So much pretty, those buildings look like something out of a Disney movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are stunning. I've somehow never felt an interest in traveling to Switzerland, but if you continue to post tidbits like today's, I may have to forsake the Caribbean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Those last two photos look like images out of a travel mag! Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am super flattered by your comment, Brie, because I'm going to take that as "Nahree is an excellent photographer". The beautiful architecture, vivid river, and clear skies miiiight have had something to do with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, your photos have the same effect on me - I long for the beaches and the tropic seasonings of Caribbean cuisine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayleigh, I happened to have a Disney playlist that played on my phone when I was strolling through the city. Great minds think alike ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts