Wednesday Wanderings: Churches of Chora, Mykonos
Though Mykonos is touted as a "party island" to tourists, its mythological significance is far more interesting to me. According to Greek mythology (the version I learned anyway), the island was where Zeus fought the Titans and later, where Hercules defeated the giants. The giant boulders of the island is said to be composed of the petrified corpses of these vanquished foes. Hence the island came to be known as "Mykonos", which means "mass of stones".
Cool.
(The other version is that it was named after the island's first ruler, Mykon, son of Apollo. But that's just boring.)
Chora (translated as "the town") of Mykonos is absolutely gorgeous. Don't be surprised if I say this many times about many countries in my future travel posts. I'm a hopeless, wanderlusting, travel-ridden philanderer of countries and I flirt with the beauty in every country. My camera ends up happy, though my wallet ends up feeling betrayed.
Anyway. Here are some beautiful churches I came across while exploring Chora:
Agios Nikolakis (St. Nicholas) is to the right with its bright blue dome
Panagia Paraportiani (Church of Our Lady Of The Side Gate) is the most well-known by tourists and is the one usually depicted on Mykonian postcards. The entrance of the church opens up to the side gate of the Kastro neighborhood of Chora. Note the giant stones (petrified giant/titan corpses!) of the island.
Another view of Panagia Paraportiani
While Agios Nikolakis has its pretty blue dome and Panagia Paraportiani has its picturesque location by the sea, I found the Agia Kyriaki to be the prettiest, though it is not as well-known. The bright red domes and door, oxidized-green copper bells, and patriotic blue flagpole beautifully contrast with the whitewashed foundation of the church.
Staring into the sun is ill-advised, but when the light crests over the shining cross of Agia Kyriaki, I just had to take a chance!
Definitely worth the blurry stars dancing around my peripheral vision afterward.
-NK-
Check out my other travel posts by clicking the Travel link on the bar at the top of my blog.
![]() |
| Pssst... the one that looks like this! |
Thanks for stopping by, and Bon Voyage!






I just love it when you share your travel photos and musings. I've never been to Mykonos, or anyplace else in Greece, but it's on my Someday list...
ReplyDeleteI hope that your Someday list eventually turns into a 10 day countdown as your pack your suitcase :) There are many countries where I see the top 5 things and am good to file it away in my memories, but Greece is definitely a place I would revisit again and again!
ReplyDeleteOh my, gorgeous! Greece is one place I've always wanted to visit! Love that light in the last photo.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get to go one day and see these churches for yourself :)
ReplyDelete