The Pickwick Papers Readalong: Four days late; better than never!

Oi - I'm late to the readalong party (as usual). Well hurrah, I bought The Pickwick Papers on kindle.  I paid $1.99 for it, so I've got skin in the game - there's no going back! (Big spender, I am.)

This week covers:
Week 1 - 20th November - Chapters 1 - end of 11

Notes:

  • Ach! So many prefaces! *skip*
  • The Pickwickians and their fancy titles like "G.C.M.P.C". *General Chairman - Member Pickwick Club*: I shall hereby be known as Etudesque, Esq., F.R.M.P.R.C. (Fellow Reader - Member Pickwick Readalong Club). Dickens is a lot more sarcastic than I remember him to be!
  • Everyone loves a good fisticuffs story.  Also the line "you are stopping in this house, Sir', said the indignant little man; 'you are intoxicated now, Sir; you shall hear from me in the morning, Sir" is BASICALLY "go home, yer drunk".  Some things are just timeless.
  • Doctor Payne and Doctor Slammer are fantastic names.  So is Dismal Jemmy.  The Pickwickians are so clueless outside the safety of their sheltered club lives, and it is so ironic that right after they hear a depressing story about an alcoholic's demise, they cheer themselves up with some brandy.
  • I learned how one must chase after windblown objects (hats, for instance) with utmost grace in the Pickwickian manner to save face after a clumsy attempt to escape an army drill.  You will still look like an idiot.
  • Oh Rachael - pickings are slim, but Jingle was a jerk.  Sigh. But the clan is starting to shed a bit of that sheltered club naïveté and re-evaluating strangers rather than befriending them at face value. Poor "Tuppy", heh.  
Read with us!  The schedule and readalong link is on the right side of my blog - check it out!

Comments

  1. Maybe by the end of the book the Pickwickians will have all matured into wise men of the world. I doubt it somehow though!

    I forgot about the hat chasing bit, hehe. Yay readalong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I remember really liking Pickwick when I read it ages ago, but I was aleady predisposed to liking it because Anne of Green Gables liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it because the characters from Little Women like it, so I really wanted to. Pretty glad it's good, I would have had to reevaluate the level of trust I place in them entirely otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! They are so adorable and silly and none of them seem to be able to control horses at all! Totally missed the drinking brandy after the alcoholic story bit which just shows how generally awake I've been the past two weeks, but basically I like this SO much more than any other Dickens I've read except A Christmas Carol (and that's just because that one was basically just The Muppets Christmas Carol without the music. Amazing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - that reminds me that I need to get into the holiday spirit by watching The Muppets Christmas Carol to get into the spirit of things!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Anne of Green Gables - another book that I need to read! I remember it playing on TV. I'm predisposed to liking Anne of Green Gables because I happen to like Pickwick, then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha that's a pretty good litmus test for trusting books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, so cluless - I'm hoping that they wise up during their adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts