Nick Offerman and I are good now.

The last time I saw Nick Offerman was October 26, 2013.  I know this because I blogged about my experience when he came to my school campus in Champaign, Illinois (he's a fellow graduate!) for his American Ham Tour. He was equal parts funny and offensive, and though I remember laughing in full-out guffawing and snorting and crying from how hilarious he was, I also remember coming away from the show a little disenchanted with him. He spewed hatred and made very unfair, wide-sweeping generalizations about Christians.  Nick Offerman is NOT Ron Swanson, and that night was a strong dose of reality.

So, imagine my surprise that Nick Offerman was coming to Minneapolis... and speaking, of all places, at a CHURCH! I have a soft spot for irony, so I had to see this. I bought a ticket for his 2PM show at Uptown Church, where he read sections from his new book, "Gumption".  My friend and I walked into a church that was built in 1886 and packed into pews with about 400 other people. Since it was barely renovated, there was no air-conditioning. To put the heat into perspective: it was 85 degrees outside.  It felt much cooler outside. Two fans were directed at Nick Offerman.  One died. (to clarify: mechanical cooling fan, not a human)

Photo credit: Magers & Quinn Booksellers
Nick Offerman was respectful of the space and was a good sport, though he humorously crossed himself every other time he swore. His humor wasn't any tamer nor was it boring.  He was simply cognizant of his surroundings and chose to keep it cool with my BFF Jesus. I never thought I'd see him behind a pulpit, but here we are!

Photo credit: Magers & Quinn Booksellers
After his talk and the reading of excerpts, he held a Q&A session where he gave marriage advice, shared tips on preparing meat (you don't, you eat it raw), and told us that his favorite wood to work with was oak. (To Oak!). We then crammed into a line and waited for him to sign our books.  I had both Gumption and Paddle Your Own Canoe on hand, so when it was finally my turn, I smiled, shook his giant, warm hand, and told him that his kabuki performance from the University of Illinois visit was amazing.  He GIGGLED, and told me to tell his mother that, hahaha!

Yeah, Nick Offerman and I are good now.

Comments

Popular Posts