Villette in March: Week 3
Villette, Week 3! I thought I wouldn't be able to make this post because I spent 18 HOURS on the road this past weekend. 4 of those hours were spent stranded on the side of a highway, but that's another story.
So, Villette chapters 16-20. Thank you Alice, for making this week's reading short - whew!
Chapter 15 ended on a cliffhanger of telenovela proportions - she faints outside, alone, in the middle of a storm! In chapter 16, she wakes up in Mrs. Bretton's home, which is shocking enough, but then we find out that "Dr. John" is actually Graham from week 1 of our readalong! Lucy admits that she had recognized Graham when they were (re)introduced, but since "Dr. John" did not recognize her back, she kept that tidbit to herself. Awkward.
Anyway, chapter 17 brings back the theme of suffering and acceptance of God's omnipotence. It's also pretty clear that she likes Dr. John, but they always end up talking about Ginevra. After all this, I'm don't think I'm a fan of Dr. John/Graham anymore. He is incredibly condescending about her physical/mental pain and is somewhat dismissive of her underlying issues of depression. Maybe Dr. John and Ginevra deserve each other. Lucy knows that Gin is using the Doctor for the bling, yet Lucy continues to like him and wants to enlighten the Doctor of Ginevra's motives. Will she ever overcome her friendzone-status?
... she doesn't. Not in chapter 18 anyway, where they agree to disagree about Ginevra's true nature. However, I think their argument and subsequent conversation opened Dr. John's eyes a bit.
Then in chapter 19, Lucy gets artsy and checks out the local art museums.
![]() |
| This actually has nothing to do with Villette. I just like Ferris Bueller. |
M. Paul is very annoying: "ladies shouldn't look at this stuff. Go to that corner and only that corner and check out the paintings I have decided are appropriate for your delicate eyes." Even more annoying - Lucy stays in the corner. Dr. John also shows up, and she sizes them up in her head. At this point, I'm not sure who I want Lucy to end up with. Neither. Thoughts?
The last chapter of this week's reading is all about the "art of reading the side-eye". Unfortunately, everyone mentioned in this chapter is TERRIBLE at this.
Dr. John + parents + Lucy + Ginevra head out to a gala/concert/rich person shindig. Gin throws Dr. John's mama a stink-eye so fierce that Dr. John pretty much decides to end it right there. Man, that face must have been epic. M. Paul also gives his own furtive glance at Lucy's "ugly" pink dress, which throws them (M. Paul, Lucy, and Dr. John) into a churn of surly passive aggressiveness.
Keep reading, readalongers!




Comments
Post a Comment