The Pickwick Papers Readalong: Week Two!

I am rolling around on the floor because I'm stuffed with turkey, mashed potatoes, pie, green bean casserole, shrimp, cranberry sauce and mini quiches. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  So grateful for family to come home to, a home to come to home to and food on the table.
Oh, also thankful for readalongs so I have a legitimate reason to wallow in my food coma and take it easy with a book ;) 

This week covers:
Week 2 - 27th November - Chapter 12 - end of 23


Instead of a chapter breakdown this time, I have just a few quick thoughts before I slump back into food coma from eating leftovers:
  • I was frustrated and amused by the election part, because it is just so ON POINT with how politics get sometimes.  Just cause a bunch of hullaballoo, throw in a couple underhanded accusations over trivial matters, woo the right people, and hope that, in all the confusion, some poor fools will just side with the loudest party...
  • ... which is basically what Pickwick tells his friends to do.
  • Thought I would have more fun reading about the costume party but I fell asleep at some point.  Blaming the turkey turkey tryptophan at this point.
  • So much drama with the Potts - just drives the theme home that upholding your name and reputation is everything, though this was starting to get tedious.  The hunting trip (where Winkle reveals that he is not the sportsman he thinks he is and Pickwick is being wheeled around) is a good break from all that.
  • And there's also something about talking to a chair and an expiring frog.  It could have been part of a book or I could have dreamt that I read these parts when I was falling asleep with the book in my lap.  Can anyone in the readalong confirm that these things actually happened? Ha.
Read with us!  The schedule and readalong link is on the right side of my blog - check it out!

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed the costume party actually - I think it's the part of Pickwick that's amused me the most so far. I ended up skimming most of the election part though.

    I agree that the YOUR NAME IS EVERYTHING parts are getting repetitive. Especially when it's usually Pickwick preaching to the others when a large part of their scrapes are down to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The expiring frog and talking chair bit were definitely real! Yeah, I thought I would enjoy the costume party more too, but I was kind of grumpy and sleepy (never a good combination) while reading it so maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha whew! Those parts just seemed so bizarre that I doubted myself for a second there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to re-read the costume party now that I've snapped out of my food coma! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts