My gorgeous, unforgiving library
I am extremely fortunate to live so close to my library. I wrote about my first visit to the Minneapolis Central library back in July!
It is a gorgeous building inside and out. Though I prefer a traditional library's creaking hardwood floors, dusty sun-faded curtains, and cozy, worn leather chairs, I have made an exception for the sleek, modern architecture of this very urban library. I wish I had a more loving relationship with my library but in our 4-months I've known it, I've caved to paying the library's ridiculous fines for overdue items.
You see, I get greedy and borrow tons and tons of books (the first time, I forgot to bring a bag, so I clumsily walked home with a stack of books supported between my arms and chin). The crazy thing is that I actually get around to reading all of them fairly quickly, but it takes me FOREVER to return them. I live less than a mile away, and it's not a bad walk from the Mill District to Downtown. However, I always forget to return them whenever I'm in the area, so I rack up a huge fine by the time I haul the stack of books back to the library. It's so silly - the amount I spend on library fines could have meant a new book or two to my personal collection! What a shame, tsk tsk.
Does anyone else have this problem? Also, I never seem to learn my lesson, because it is apparent that I continue to borrow books at my inevitable expense. Looking forward to reading my haul of Guy DeLisle travelogues, graphic novels, and Japanese psycho-thrillers... and returning them on time for once. Crossing my fingers and toes this time.


Oh you got In The Miso Soup!
ReplyDeleteI'm terrible with library fees. I do the same thing as you, I read them and then leave them by the front door for weeks and weeks. Luckily our library fees are tiny, so it never amounts to too much.
I'm terrible with library fees, too. I don't get too much from the library anymore because of my super-duper job as a bookseller, but I chalk up the few fees I do pay as something I'm quite willing to do in support of free reading for everybody.
ReplyDeleteTrue - I love your perspective! Your welcome, citizens of Minneapolis, YOU'RE WELCOME. ohoho I am just so generous ;)
ReplyDeleteKayleigh - I've been looking forward to reading In The Miso Soup ever since you told us about it! I leave my books in a bag by the door and I face-palm every time I start my car and realize that I don't have them with me!
ReplyDeleteI am awful at returning books too. Until now, whenever I've regularly used libraries I have had too little money to be able to afford to return books late, so I always used to remember at the last possible minute and then run to the library just before it shut, hehe. If I had a decent library near me now, I expect that I would end up paying loads in fines.
ReplyDeleteThat does look like a nice library!
I solemnly swear I shall return them on time!!
ReplyDelete