Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

As I've mentioned before for Interpreter of Maladies, I LOVE Jhumpa Lahiri and her way of crafting what is usually the monotony of life in a way that's not boring.  She writes of moments where you cringe, laugh, feel heartbroken, and can completely relate to it all because she has this magical ability to find the right words to perfectly describe the small nuances in strained familial relationships, culture shock, love, envy, and ambition.  As the title suggests, this is a collection of short stories tied by the motif of unfamiliarity: the unfamiliarity of a new country, newly defined relationship, new season of life, and new situations to cope with... with most of these tales dealing with some form of personal tragedy.  One thing to note, though, is that compared to Interpreter of Maladies, her set of characters aren't as diverse in this book.  Most of these families are immigrants who live a life a privilege, whose kids go to nice east coast or ivy league schools and have to deal with their own first-world problems.  Despite the somewhat cliched universe she's created for this collection, Lahiri is still a pro at reeling your heart in and stomping on it with four sentences to go once you become invested into her characters - that's the beauty and wretchedness of her short stories.

Comments

  1. I liked this collection, too. I think Lahiri is one of the best writers we have in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lahiri has this way of breaking down what would go through a character's mind in flash, only in slow motion and high definition, emotionally. Queen of tragedy, I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good!!!! I shall add it to my tbr list (although god
    knows when I'll get around to it, boo. I wish I could just quit my job
    and read all day!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts