Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

What I heard prior to reading: woman leaves husband, plays the victim, somehow gets prepaid trip to: around the world, and whines and dines in Italy until she gets her act together.  And yes, I meant "whines and dines", because it's supposedly written like a New York Times Bestseller Sob Story.

However, I gave this book a try because:
1. I swapped books with a friend while I was in India and heard that the book had something to do with India, so this seemed like a good novel to read while in India and traveling.
2. The friend who swapped books with me is incredibly kind and I didn't want to let her down!

Right from the beginning, it was clear that Liz is crazy-needy... she leaves her husband because she's not happy and jumps straight into the arms of her lover, David.  Her justification for everything was basically "well, it's been hard for me too.  Here's a chapter about me suffering.  Just so you know that everything is kinda "fair" and I don't deserve to be hated."  She plays the victim role pretty well, going on and on about her sleepless nights (yeah-no I wouldn't be able to sleep if I screwed over my husband either).  I felt terrible while reading this book because I felt incredibly judgmental and did not want to go down that path of hating the 'protagonist' in the books I read.  But I carried on because I was promised vicarious living through the eating of Italian food and exploring the wonders of India and Indonesia.

I did like the layout of the books into segments, which made it easy to set it down and resume with another tale without backtracking.  Her metaphors are a tad ridiculous (David was catnip and kryptonite to me), but her descriptions about the food in Italy made my mouth water (that pizza in Naples), and I admired that she could easily befriend the most random people (beefy and hairy Richard from Texas, now in an Indian ashram) in her travels.  I also liked that she would sidestep into really interesting historical facts to give the reader context on why a particular moment/place was such a big deal to her.

Lastly, I concede that she did write some sentences that I loved.  There was this section where she bared her vulnerabilities in the ashram, exhaustedly surrendered her skepticism and confessed:  I want God to play in my bloodstream the way sunlight amuses itself on water.

I wished that she had ended it there, because I didn't love the "love" part of the book, where she was in Indonesia and finds herself (by finding herself another man).  Really? After all that time of struggling through depression, self-doubt, and experiencing religious renewal, you come away from this trip with "validation" from yet another fling?  Come on, Liz, I thought you were (getting) better than that!

I've been to Israel and India.  Did the praying part in Israel and the eating part in India.  Maybe I'll go find myself a lover from Ireland or Iceland.  Book deal or bust, my friends!!

Comments

  1. I dunno if I can do the whining in this book, not even for the descriptions of delicious Italian food (I'm getting hungry thinking about it). Best of luck on your journey to do your own eat pray love and find yourself a lover in Ireland or Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha the whining almost made me rage-quit this book! I inadvertently prayed in Israel and ate my way through India because my last two consulting projects were in those countries. The more accurate title of my book would be Work, Work, Work. However, if you happen to know an Irishman or an Icelander, let me know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have rage quit this. I like the idea but uuuuggh. Also eating your way through any country is my fav way to vacation.

    I actually do know some Irishmen. But they're all in Ireland. and I need to figure out which are still single, or things could be awkward

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was your favorite country to eat your way through? In terms of pound per pound weight gain in France, I think I got my luggage beat. I also shopped my way through, so that's saying something.


    Re: Irishmen... crossing my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Italy. What can I say, you can't beat Italian food. That and I spent the most time there. Otherwise I did a good amount of eating in Ireland and England (at least London). And well...Italy was good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, vicarious eating...


    I have heard not-good things about this book, and you've pretty much just confirmed them, so thanks for letting me know that I don't need to read this! RELIEF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it so you won't have to... vicarious reading at its finest!
    It was going kinda okay... and then it plummeted, leaving me aghast with the knowledge that I spent a few sittings trying to finish the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts