Harry Potter Readalong: Intro Post
So I dropped the ball on this one (whoohoo, way to start off yet another readalong!) and forgot my introduction post for this readalong, so HERE GOES.

Hi, I'm Etudesque! To the left is a cute drawing of me that my friend drew today during lunch. Yep, I look EXACTLY like this, for serious. I currently live in Champaign for grad school. In my free time, I like to hike, draw, read, travel, hunt down vinyls, eat great food, play the cello/piano/guitar and explore Chicago. Lots of hobbies so I don't become insane from boredom. Which unfortunately happens quite often. As a result, I always pick up new hobbies (did I mention that I'm learning Hebrew?). I first started reading Harry Potter in 6th grade when our library started stocking Harry Potter books like crazy and I knew something was up. To my surprise, Harry Potter was my age! And though he was super awesome and kind and (gasp! spoilers!) magical and all that, I strangely did not have a huge crush on him or anything. Mainly because J.K. Rowling was so great with characterization that it was all about great friends, strong rivalry, deep mentorships, and so much more than "omg, boy meets girl, they are totes in love with each other, ahhhh~!". Then again, I was 11; OTP's were not in my vocabulary back then. Since then, I went to pretty much all the midnight release parties at Barnes and Noble, watched all the movies (helloooo, David Tennant!), and went to a Harry Potter halloween party last October. Yep, last I checked, still a Potter-fan.
Looking forward to re-re-re-re-reading (not sure if I put enough "re's" in there, I'm sure I read the series much more than that)! I want to try brewing butterbeer too. YEAAAH LET'S DO IT.
Yes, this was me when I went to Hogwarts at King's Cross Platform 9 and 3 quarters 2 years ago.

It was only when I started writing the entry that I realized the odd fact that I didn't have any crushes on the characters (I almost always did at that time)! If anything, it was more of an admiration/respect for what they went through.
ReplyDeleteI definitely had crushes, but I think it was more about loving the Weasley family so much I had to work out a way to be part of that awesomeness.
ReplyDeleteBut I definitely think the romance (ours or theirs) was never a focus, unlike a tonne of other YA where it's basically the only thing in the books.
Reading everyone else's posts is making me so excited for my first HP experience. I think that I was just a little too old to really get into it when they came out, but I'm totally not concerned with that now, just as a high schooler,.
ReplyDeleteI fortunately had good friends who were willing to geek out with me, so HP was pretty cool even in high school (and college, haha). There were editions published with different dust jackets so they didn't look so childish, but that takes away from the whole charm of the series!
ReplyDeleteI think it's so awesome that even though some of you have read HP like a gazillion times, you are still just as excited to read it again for this readathon! Which tells me I've seriously been missing out all these years by having NOT read Harry :(
ReplyDeleteAnd while I know almost nothing of the books, I do *know* of Platform 9 and 3/4 and that photo is very cool!
You know how you flip to a channel, and it's playing your favorite movie and no matter how many times you've watched it and you already have the dvd, you squeal and flop down on the couch to watch it? Yeah, it's definitely like that. And it's never too late for Harry Potter! I'll be very careful to keep my posts spoiler free :)
ReplyDeleteYAYYYY
ReplyDeleteDamnit, I need to go to King's Cross. NEED. Especially since that shop just opened up there.
Also good job learning Hebrew, because one of the versions at least has NO VOWELS and I find that terrifying.
What?! There was no shop when I was there! Must go back!
ReplyDeleteI'm learning Hebrew to prep for a March business trip so I don't feel like the ignorant 'murican that I am.
I love that you went to Platform 9 3/4 and took your picture there! So glad that Alice is providing sanctuary for all of us for the next few months.
ReplyDeletePlatform 9 3/4 was the first stop on my UK list when I went backpacking a couple years ago. Alice is THE BEST for doing this.
ReplyDeleteHooray for that pic of you at platform 9 3/4. This is going to be the best
ReplyDeleteWhen I arrived at Heathrow, instead of checking in, I went straight to King's cross because it was the first thing on my list of Awesome Touristy Things To Do. So happy to be reading Harry Potter right now!
ReplyDeleteHoly crow, that is a good point about not having a crush on him. I didn't either! Well done, JK, making it about More than that. And EEE to that picture!
ReplyDelete