A Dangerous Method: involves pretty books

I saw A Dangerous Method over the weekend and all I could do was drink in all the beautiful period clothing with women in their high-waisted floor-length skirts, flowery, delicately laced, stiff-collared blouses, and pretty hats.   Oh, and Fassbender in his spectacles, page cap, driving gloves, waistcoat and pocket-watch... seriously, this guy needs to do more period dramas.

ALSO - forget Belle, I WANT Freud's study.  I loved the set design - all these knick knacks on his desk and gorgeous books (always assorted by color, remember how volumes and series actually looked consistent, once upon a time?) adorning his richly varnished shelves.  I took screencaps just because I want you all to be jealous with me:

Jung (Michael Fassbender) and Freud (Viggo Mortensen) take tea in Freud's study in Vienna.

Spielrein (Keira Knightley) discusses her dissertation with Freud.

Jung's study - if I can't have Freud's study, Jung's will have to do! 

It was interesting to note that Freud's office was cramped, darkly colored, poorly lit, and cluttered with aged relics, while Jung's was roomy, lightly colored, brightly lit, and neatly furnished.  It's a stretch, but I thought this was intentional to reflect Freud's views in comparison to Jung's.  Like the cluttered study, Freud does not have room in his rigidly established boundaries to accept newer ideas from the younger psychologist.  Though he's opened a door to psychoanalysis, Freud's dark and cramped room reflects his tunnelvision-like tendency to assign "sexuality" as the main source of all neuroses.  This contrasts with Jung's bright, shiny, new ideas and his open (roomy, well lit study) willingness to explore and see for himself the other means of psychoanalysis, including religion, superstition, and mysticism.  Have you watched it?  What do you think?


Comments

  1. FASSBENDERRRRRRRRRR.

    I want to see this, but I don't know if I can handle another Keira-Knightley-as-a-tragic-character-in-a-period-drama movie. I will do anything for some Fassbender though.

    Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imma be honest, Meg, I watched it to explore the nuances of the sincere professional differences of psychoanalytic criticisms between Freud and Jung.  
    JUST KIDDING, FASSBENDER ALL THE WAY.
    I wasn't a fan of Keira Knightley's inconsistent "Russian" accent, but hey, she pulls off cray-cray.  I thought it was alright.  Good for a once-over, but I wouldn't exactly buy it and re-watch it on the weekends or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahahaha! You had me going there for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHY IS KEIRA KNIGHTLEY IN ALL THE PERIOD DRAMA MOVIES I HATE THIS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW!!  I can't watch Anna Karenina now!!
    Though I will probably resign myself to watching it anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts