Norwegian Wood Readalong - Chapters 7-9



Almost done with Norwegian Wood!  (Alice's Readalong here!)

This time it's Toru and Midori, because they are much, much cuter together than the angst we had to deal with in last week's reading.

I love how outspoken and uninhibited Midori is with Toru.  She won me over last week when she confessed that she saved money for cookware rather than buy a new bra because no one else cared about the knives and pots she wanted.  We learn more about her as she takes the bus with Toru to Shinjuku just to get her afternoon drink on and we see that she's got deep issues of her own but takes them on like champ when she's tending to her father in the hospital.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the womanizing and apathetic Nagasawa gives me more reasons to hate on him.  In chapter 8, he pretty much elaborates on his philandering ways... in front of his girlfriend Hatsumi.  It was even more frustrating that Toru just sat there during that awful, awkward dinner, listening in on this degrading conversation and not being of much help.  After the dinner, he shoots pool with Hatsumi just like he did with Kizuki the night before he died.  It's as if he receives another shot at saving a friend, but as a guy who is accustomed to being the sidekick (Kizuki, Midori and Nagasawa), he's at a loss for words and can only offer small talk during these situations.

Chapter 9 - again, weird.  Midori's TMI moments are waaaay too much for me, but her silliness and honest "charm" keeps reeling me in.  Despite the fact that her parents are gone from this world, she works to keep a struggling bookstore open, is full of life, and keeps a brilliant smile close at hand.  It's the polar opposite of how Naoko has not really dealt with deaths of her loved ones.  Next week - the close!

Comments

  1. MORE ART. HURRAY!

    That picture makes me like Midori more.

    "It's as if he receives another shot at saving a friend" AWWWWW NOOOO! Really good point, and now I'm sad again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for the depressing summary! But that chapter was super depressing!! I beseech you, oh Reading Rambo, to pick a happier book next time - either way, I'll join, but I want one that makes me want to bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy!

      Delete
    2. Mean Girls reference = +10.

      Next is Woman in White in April! It'll be awesome and Victorian. I am excited.

      Delete
  2. "Midori's TMI moments" reminded me of the Tampon story, which reminded me how I'm still confused about how a woman could sneeze her tampon out in such a way that anyone but her would know about it. Was she wearing a skirt and no underwear? I must know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha she's so bizarre! I can't fault Toru for responding with "oh brother" every time she says something crazy - she'd throw me off guard too!

      Delete
  3. I HATE NAGASAWA SO MUCH! Like honestly, he's the worst person in the whole world! UGH, and I got all annoyed at him saying Toru was the same as him, because that's not really the impression I get at all... I don't know. Anyway, bad Nagasawa.

    Also, yes to Midori being mentally superior to Naoko. Even if it's not Naoko's fault, necessarily, you've still got to admire the Midori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one thing for Nagasawa to be the way he is, but Hatsumi and Toru are pretty much masochists for continuing to hang out with him. They feed his ego and give him company whenever it's convenient for him - they're almost like social enablers. Bad Nagasawa, bad!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts