Truly Madly Guilty, by Liane Moriarty

6 adults, 3 children, 1 barbecue. Add copious alcohol, a creepy neighbor with a sad past, a terrible accident and you've got a recipe for a slow-burning Australian drama. This reminds me of Herman Koch's "The Dinner", where the adults reunite after The Incident and their relationship is clearly strained due to the elephant in the room. Secrets slowly simmer at the surface, true motivations are added to the mix, and The Incident is the catalyst in boiling everything over. I'll stop at the cooking puns now - basically, I recommend this book if you want to hate all the characters and sit back and grin at the schadenfreude that's about to occur. Warning: no one is likable (except maybe Vid). Clementine is a drama-mama par excellence. Clementine's child Holly is an absolute terror and just reading about her epic tantrums is quite effective birth control. Erika is intensely needy and obsessive in judging yet coveting Clementine and Holly's relationship. The book is not really about The Incident, but actually about the psychology behind all the characters and why they continue to engage each other.

Rating: 4/5. 3 stars for plot, but elevating to a 4 because of the character development and extensive research on the cello. She really nailed down audition life and the stress/perfectionism involved. She even researched the Alexander Technique, so color me impressed! (so yeah, +1 for bias from a fellow cellist)

Comments

  1. I didn't read this one, but I got comped an audio of Big Little Lies by the same author and I was delightfully surprised how much I enjoyed it. similar vein, with largely unlikeable characters, but good development and overall a pretty nice picture of the contradictions often present in female friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like she's discovered her niche - pretty similar thoughts on her other book, "Her Husband's Secret". She's really good at developing characters and delving into their psychology while differentiating them from the others.

      Delete
  2. I am not a huuuuge fan of hating all the characters (not like in The Dinner which...wow did I hate everyone) so maaaay need to skip this one. Although I enjoyed The Husband's Secret so who knows, I may give in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was hard to genuinely feel bad for anyone because they're all so self-absorbed and self-destructive at the same time. I don't think you'll miss much if you skip this one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts