Micro review: Gatsby


The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald:

This is one of those books where I swear I've "read" it, but what really happened was:

High school teacher assigns it, student blankly nods, *googles and cliff notes it*, gets A-, takes the grade and runs.  I really want to beat up my high school self sometimes!

Superficial love, material wealth, hollow dreams, and the emptiness that follows when it all comes crashing down.  The worst part is seeing how it all goes to rubbish in great detail - it happens all too quickly and too recklessly for you to do anything about it except to keep turning the page numbly at the end.  A dream dashed, and all efforts and great lengths to achieve it are dashed into oblivion.  Narrated by a someone who is simultaneously drawn to and burned by the flame of the fabulous east-coast life, this is an excellent classic and I don't know why it's taken me so long to actually read this one!

Comments

  1. I reaaaaaaaaaaally need to read this. Why can't I just quit my job and spend all of my time at home reading?! WHY?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to take a loooong vacation where all I do is read all the epic classics people swear are good and I never have gotten around to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me toooooo!!! I've read so few classics it's embarrassing. Mind you, I did use to have a job where I basically did nothing all day, and then another job when I could go home when I had no work to do (which was often), and was a housewife for 6 months, and I didn't use ANY of those huge chunks of free time to read classics, so maybe I should be realistic and just say that I probably never will! Hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think of those summer holidays where I just sat around and did NOTHING, so I'm on the same page as you... except we're clearly not reading it, HA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts