The yearly "LOL I suck at blogging" post

Every year, man. Every year. But hey, I always come back to update this page, so that's got to count for something! I was once diligent about blogging, but then social media exploded and I found it easier to micro-blog about the books I read through Instagram or Facebook. I've been hand-lettering my favorite quotes from books I've been reading, to keep as mementos if there's a book I need to return to a friend or the library. In the same way that serial killers keep "trophies" of their victims, I am the serial reader who keeps quotes.

The most memorable quote of 2016's reads comes from "Night", by Elie Weisel. #Resist so that history does not repeat itself.




Summary of last year: 

It was personally a very shitty year for me. Then again, 2016 was a riot for the world in general. Depression almost won, but my friends (both local/international and IRL/internet people) cheered me up and kept me going. I am so thankful to have such a good community of kind and compassionate people. Pat yourself on the back for being awesome. Though it was a rough summer in particular, I enjoyed traveling to 5 different countries (Croatia, Bosnia, Denmark, Sweden, England). I met up with book buddy Hanna in Denmark/Sweden and then finally got to hug Bex (and her super cute boys) and Laura (also super cute) in England. Those trips were definitely a highlight for me - I'll have to post some overdue thoughts on my bookish adventures.

After those trips, I got a new job which is turning out to be a really fun gig. And then I turned 30. I hosted a book-themed birthday party where everyone had to bring a book (either new or used) for me to read and explain why they thought I should read it. Surprisingly, I had received about 20 books and I had not owned or read any of them previously. So those books will circulate in my 2017 Reading Challenge!

And before you know it, Etudesque and The Shitty Year of 2016 came to an end. Thankfully.

Now it's 2017 and I'm laughing because I'm so terrible at blogging. With more books, more life events (seriously, I have 3 consecutive weddings on 3 weekends in a row in just May alone), and more trips planned for the year, I'm looking to kick depression to the curb and...


Comments

Popular Posts