War and Peace Readalong: Week One, Book One


Thanks Hanna for hosting!  My book came in the mail on Thursday and I was immediately frightened by how much the parcel weighed.  When I opened it, I saw that the book was so heavy it burst the bubble wrap in multiple places.  I take this as a solid sign that my 100-book goal for this year is shot, unless this one counts for multiple books (like, 100).  Now, unto the prompts! (Another reason why I love this readalong already)

1) What pre-existing ideas did you have about War & Peace?

That it is looooooooooong. And about Russian families. And about War. And Peace.

2) On that note, is it as bad as you'd expected? :P

The writing is surprisingly easy to read - but I must probably credit the translation for that!  It drops you right in a soiree, which is a convenient way to introduce and describe all the characters.

3) What strategies are you employing?
e.g. reading in short bursts, using your Kindle on your commute, taking notes about the characters...

I have separated the book with colorful flags as finish points.  They make my heavyweight book even more conspicuous; oh well.  


Though it's a pain to lug around such a massive book (well, it's only been a few days), I like seeing a physical representation of how much I've read.  I read in short bursts so I don't become overwhelmed with all the names that I'm trying to track!  I may also start a "cast list" with brief descriptions so I can figure out who is who. 

4) How are you getting on with your translation?

I am reading the Anthony Briggs translation because I heard that it has the least amount of untranslated French and is more "accessible" to readers.  Hey, I'll take it.  I need all the help I can get with reading this brick of a book.

... okay, cutting this short because I need to get back to reading! This is one of those books where I can't afford to miss a week because then I'll be stuck with hundreds of pages of catch-up reading to do!

Comments

  1. Pretty much everybody seems to have the Anthony Briggs translation and I'm starting to wonder whether I'm missing out on something! I mean, I have no problems at all with the edition I have on my Kindle (you guys are going to have ginormous biceps by the time this is done!) but I am starting to notice differences in the names. I have a Prince Andrew, for example, instead of Andrei...

    I'm mostly just glad that it isn't as horrific as I'd expected, really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using the Kindle version, too, and I wish they kept the Russian names instead of anglicizing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a BEAST to carry around. Every time I turn the page I 'm afraid I'm going to break the spine! I BETTER have amazing arms by the time I'm done reading, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad my edition chose not to anglicize them - because it's mentioned during the soiree how certain people chose to pronounce their names with a French accent rather than the Russian, which demonstrated their acceptance of the growing French empire. I imagine this point would be somewhat lost with the anglicized names!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh please, you're TOTALLY allowed to count it as like... 100 books. I hereby give you permission.

    I'm really happy with the Anthony Briggs translation, but unlike you (who is a sensible person) I didn't research it or anything. I ended up with 'the good one' out of pure luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, thank goodness for translated French!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have Hanna's blessing! Hahaha!
    I googled reviews because I figured that if I was going to spend a couple weeks reading something, it may as well be fun and eas(iest) to read :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts