The Pickwick Papers Readalong: Week 3

Hello fellow readers!  We're over the halfway point!  However, I'm slogging along and trying to sustain my readalong enthusiasm.  Dickens might not be my cup of tea after all :-/
This past week was bad for reading anyway since my mind was entirely focused on work and all the deliverables/deadlines that loomed over my head!

This week covers:
Week 3 - 4th December - Chapter 24 - end of 34


  • Tony, "Samivel's" dad: if I could run his indiscernible dialogue through a magic translator, I would.  It took me the longest time getting through this section because it took me forever to understand what he was trying to say!
  • Stiggins is basically the worst.  The. Worst.  I always cringe when I come across the hypocrite who wields religious zeal as a weapon and hides behind a shield of self-righteousness.  This is coming from a Christian, mind you.
  • The Pickwick Papers has a Christmas chapter!  These are usually the best chapters in any given book; take Harry Potter for example.  Poor Mr. Pickwick falls through the ice, which is my worst nightmare.  I'm going to give ice-skating (over a lake) a try this winter because there are over 10,000 lakes in my state and at least one of them is bound to be frozen enough.
  • Bob Sawyer's hot mess of a "party": Dickens, we get that you despise doctors and lawyers.  You also hate them teetotalers.  
  • The trial: hahaha, I love that Snodgrass insinuates there is the possibility of ending up with a 'hangry' jury.  It's a legit concern.  When I went to court to contest a traffic ticket once, I was genuinely concerned that the judge would be hangry and not rule in my favor because my appointment was at 11:45am.  It's all very touching when his buddies stand up for him, but they ended up being terrible witnesses.  Pickwick is guilty as charged and has to cough up the money. 


That's all I got.

Read with us!  The schedule and readalong link is on the right side of my blog - check it out!

Comments

  1. The Christmas chapters in Harry Potter are the best! :D

    And I feel the same way about anything with Sam in. I end up groaning every time I see him because I find it difficult to figure out what he's trying to say, and it's about 4 times as worse when he's talking to his father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that we're in this together; let the collective groaning commence any time we have to read "Samivel's" lines!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts