October is Orangey... and so is the new black
My last post was back in September. This past month was rough for me personally, but I need to get past that and look on the bright side of things. Yes, I know that I'm sweeping most of these problems under the rug, but I've had some good books to distract me. I then fell into a reading slump and didn't read a single thing (buzzfeed articles don't count, I guess) until last week, when I started feeling better again. Soooo I guess that's always a good sign that I'm on my way to being my happy(ish) self again.
So here is a mini-review (I'll work on catching up) so I can check them off my year's list and get back to reading!
LOVE THE SHOW (who doesn't)... but I had to keep reminding myself that the book came out first and the show took many, many creative liberties with the true story. For example, "Nora" wasn't as charming and sexy as Prepon's "Alex" in the show, and didn't show up until Piper leaves the Danbury facility. I was hoping for the other shoe to drop at their fateful reunion in jail, thinking that the pacing would be the same as the show, but that obviously didn't happen right away. "Pop", who is "Red" in the show, is much kinder and motherly to Piper when she arrives, immediately taking on the role of being a straight-shooting mentor.
Piper also includes a recipe to Prison Cheesecake, (recipe) which I doubt I'll ever try, because it contains a fascinating combination of margarine, cheese, vanilla pudding, powdered coffee creamer, and lemon juice. Ick.
Best quote: "Our current criminal justice system has no provision for restorative justice."

Sorry you had a rough month :(
ReplyDeleteI read the book first, then watched the show. The book is a little dull compared to the show so I can see why they would have needed to take creative liberties when filming…not that the book wasn't interesting, I was just expecting more drama when I was reading it. I am having a hard time getting into season two of the show though…not sure why, it's just not grabbing me.
I hope to have a better month in November. I'm going to be optimistic about this one :)
ReplyDeleteI am glad I watched the show first this time around, as opposed to reading the book first. I don't think I would have watched the show, honestly, if I thought that the show would be just like the book. Good thing they're different! You're right about season 2; I ended up watching all of it, but it just wasn't as juicy as the first season, and Piper took a back seat in the plot.
Yes! Wishing for a better month, and 10 days in, it's been good (it's my birthday today) :)
ReplyDelete