Eleanor & Park - Konglish and Fanart

I loved this YA novel so much - a very quick read (more like, I sat down and refused to get up until I finished because it was so good). The perfect balance of humor and heartbreak, I found myself laughing and 'aww-ing' and then turning the page and 'bawling' internally, I was reading in public because Rainbow Rowell is this evil genius that gets me hooked on her writing and strings my weak, weak heart along.  

This book is awesome for 2 personal reasons:
  • Park's Korean mom-isms... OMG I relate so well with the really cute quotes like "Hey, honey," his mom said. She pronounced it with two n's." My mom is not at all bashful with her 'Konglish' (Korean-English), and it's totally adorable.  Of course, it stops being adorable the second she drops the English and scolds me in the mother-tongue, in equal parts vicious and rapid.
  • I got this book from my first "official" book-swap and when I noticed that Eleanor's bright future could be in Minnesota, I was trying really hard not to keep my own hopes up.  I read this book while job hunting and waiting to hear back from my interviewers at a certain awesome company in Minnesota and was trying not to think of anything Minnesota-y because I didn't want to become too invested.  So this book made it a tad difficult. *spoiler alert for my life, not necessarily the book* I got the job and am heading over to Minneapolis next fall.  Don't be too heartbroken guys, I'll send you a cheesy "Land of 10,000 Lakes" postcard with more than 3 words on it if you want.
Wow look, I've also drawn a Thing:



Comments

  1. Thanks! Yes, I move in August, so you best be on your way to visit next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much that I love about this post! Yay for MN and your getting the job, first of all. All of my extended family who live in MN simply love it. They're all in or near the Twin Cities.


    secondly, your fan art for this book kinda breaks my heart, but in a good way! i so loved this book. in about a gazillion ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job!! And I'd like to second Alice's comment on Eleanor's hair: it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the super late response! I'm back from India and my holiday and am FINALLY catching up on emails and comments! I'm so encouraged by your comment on MN-loveliness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kayleigh! Long time no talk (my bad, I was overseas for a bit). Thanks so much for your wonderful comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts