My Top 10 List of Mood Boosting Books

Bex recently posted her own list of mood boosting books, so I decided to do the same.  It was hard to come up with the list because when a book comes to mind, I sometimes forget the depressing parts of the novels and only think of the semisweet endings.  Enough time has passed since reading the book that I look back on it with nostalgia, forgetting that it wasn't actually a mood boosting book at the time.  Anyway, here are 10 books that will always have me cracking a grin when cracking open the book.  In no particular order:

Harry Potter and the Philsopher/Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling (helloooo, magic!)

Beezus and Ramona, Beverly Cleary (younger sisters are annoying, but way too cute)

Sideways Stories From Wayside School, Louis Sachar (bizarre and hilarious)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Dr. Seuss (my heart grew three sizes after reading this one)

The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters, Janet Ahlberg (letters to/from fairy tale characters? heck yes!)

Q&A, Vikas Swarup (the movie Slumdog Millionaire is based on this book)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis (the "Christmas chapter" and the faithfulness of the Lion aka God)

The Princess Bride, William Goldman (classic book, meet classic movie)

A Walk in the Woods, Bill Bryson (makes me want to pack snickers bars into a backpack and go hiking)

Attachments, Rainbow Rowell (b-but where is MY Lincoln?!)

A lot of these books are children's books, because they're usually optimistic and have the happy ending that young readers deserve.  I felt obliged to add some "grownup" books to the list, so there is an inspirational one (Q&A), an amusing/rambling one (A Walk in the Woods), and the fluffy romantic one (Attachments).

Hope you've enjoyed some of these books and can recommend your own!

Comments

  1. Hey yeah, where is MY Lincoln also?! I feel like most books that involve Christmas in some way are always going to make me smile- or at least those bits will. It's kiiiind of my favourite thing to have in a book :)


    ALSO I just started reading a Moomin book and it is SO adorable and lovely and I'm just grinning as soon as I open it! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, The Princess Bride! It was such a clever, beautifully written, amusing book that I don't think the slight smile left my face once all the way through it. I know the movie's a kind of cult classic but really, more people should read the book too! The early Harry Potter books definitely make me laugh, Fred and George (and Dumbledore) are so funny. The mood-boosting books are so often the ones that end up staying on my bookshelf, even if they're a bit cliched or clunkily written, it doesn't matter. If they make me smile, I want them there for when I'm ill or sad or just want something nice to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Princess Bride because of how the story would diverge into random anecdotes and then he would realize he was off track and get back to the story.
    I know exactly what you mean about having them right on the shelf for you to grab when you're down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still looking for those Lincolns in our lives!
    I have never heard of a Moomin before! *wikipedia-ing it*
    Huh, they're pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts