The Lion Is In

I usually shy away from "chick-lit", but Blue Rider Press sent me a copy of Delia Ephron's The Lion Is In to read and I thought I'd give it a go.  Who can refuse a book about a kleptomaniac, recovering alcoholic, a minister's runaway wife, and a lion?  No one.  Also, Delia Ephron is also a screenwriter whose work includes You've Got Mail, which I absolutely adored.

Meet the main cast:
Lana - a recovering alcoholic who had tries to give up swearing (and fails), drinking soft drinks (and fails), and has been sober for a little over 5 months (and still working on it).  Her prized Mustang has just gotten a flat in North Carolina, which is where the story begins.  Has major anger issues.
Tracee - a sobbing mess in a wedding dress, also Lana's best friend.  Is heartbroken and after growing up basically parentless, constantly doubts her self-worth.  Has stealing issues.
Rita - a timid, wandering woman dressed in her Sunday best who helps Lana and Tracee with their flat tire.  Has oppressive husband issues.
Marcel - the resident lion at the bar the ladies break into (what the, right?!).  He's a pivotal character to the story because he is the silent listener who accepts them for who they are and is the catalyst for their healing and empowerment.

To summarize the plot:  while running away from their problems, Lana's car is damaged, so Lana, Tracee and Rita must work at The Lion (the bar they broke into to spend the night) to pay off car repair costs.

Honestly, it took forever to get into this book because Lana and Tracee were so reckless, selfish and impulsive and I couldn't stand them.  To make things worse, Tracee's on the run and Lana is terrified of the police, so they're constantly lashing out due to their paranoia.  This book would have been one hot mess of self-sabotage (Lana working in a bar, of all places and Tracee falling for a man who works for a retail store, of all places) had it not been for the saving graces, Rita and Marcel.  They all have terrible emotional baggage that they drag with them, but it is Rita's trust in Marcel that encourages the other two to address their issues and come out with their respective guilty secrets.

I couldn't relate very well to the characters and the stifling small town setting in North Carolina was a bit of a culture shock to me.  However, what kept me reading was Delia's ability to give the reader hope for these characters, even if they weren't particularly likable.  I couldn't help but want to root for them and smile at all the crazy things they did to encourage each other to stay strong and optimistic, despite their tough circumstances.  The book ends on a light and happy note - a quick and entertaining read.

Comments

  1. Whoa, you got an ARC? I feel like I should high-five you or something.

    PUT A PICTURE OF THE COVER. COVEEEEEER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I don't know how this happened - but I entered a bunch of giveaways on a whim and then won like 8 BOOKS IN A WEEK.  Probs due to a freak accident with their "random" number-generating algorithm or something.  So now I have to read 8 of 'em in a row and all you're going to get are book reports from me. I will also update this with a cover so I get full marks from you, Ms. Alice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts