Etude no. 15: Hatha Yoga

Decided to splurge and re-join Lifetime Fitness today!  After a phone-call and a face-to-face visit, I was able to wrangle a decent deal and got the registration fee waived, which was pretty sweet.  I started right away with a session on the treadmill and elliptical, and right as I got off to stretch, I saw a group of women waiting outside the studio room for a yoga class.

I figured that yoga would be a good way to cool down; boy was I wrong.  I have never done yoga before, so I had no idea how intense the sessions are!  Other than the music to set the ambiance, the class was conducted in meditative silence, and the instructions were gentle and quiet as we were supposed to flow from one pose to another.  Unfortunately, there was more staggering and tipping over and not much flowing on my part, and my muscles were shaking as I was desperately trying to not look like a complete fool.  Also, the room was heated to 90 degrees, the mats were getting slippery, and my old geezer back was cramping up somewhere between the Virabhadrasana I Pose aka "Warrior 1" and Utthita Trikonasana aka "Triangle".  I met Daisy and Trang, who encouraged me to stick it out, and I'm quite glad I did.  Though I'm a bit sore, it's nothing a hot shower and a comfy bed can't cure. Our instructor, Piera is awesome, and I feel quite rested at the moment. While I probably won't be munching granola bars, shopping at Trader Joe's, and dropping hundreds of dollars on yoga paraphernalia at REI, I will be going to the classes when I have time.

Comments

Popular Posts